1. vercingetori-x:

    The view from a PV-1, post strafing run over U-604.

    (via elleroth)

  2. atticmi:

    Cew members of U-37, 1940. Left from right: WO Hans-Günther Kuhlmann, Captain Oehrn and LI Gerd, who was Teddy Suhren’s older brother.

  3. treue-bis-zum-ende:

    Das U-87 der Kriegsmarine taucht vor Helgoland bei voller Fahrt an die Wasseroberfläche.

  4. paukenhund:

    German submarine U-118…

    Launched in 1918, U-118 was surrendered at the end of the war and during the process of being towed to Scapa Flow broke loose and washed up ashore at Hastings near a hotel. Initial efforts to refloat the vessel failed and soon the submarine became a local attraction. (Proceeds from admission to the deck were used to fund an event for returning British veterans.)

    Eventually the wreck was broken up, with the gun finally removed from the beach in 1921…

    (Source: silodrome.com)

  5. toasoundworks:

    Kiel, Germany

  6. atticmi:

    Albrecht Brandi

  7. atticmi:

    Fregattenkapitän Albrecht Brandi

  9. general view of the Submarine.
    forward Torpedo Room
    Electric Control Room
    control room looking aft, starboard side
    Control Room looking forward
    side corner of Engine Room
    Mess Table, lockers and manholes to accumulation battery.
    Diesel Engine Room.


    U-Boat 110

    These images are taken from an album of photographs found in the Swan Hunter shipbuilders collection at Tyne & Wear Archives. The album is from 1918 and documents the U.B. 110 before she was scrapped on the dry docks of Swan Hunter Wigham Richardson Ltd, Wallsend.

    The twin-screw German submarine U.B. 110 was built by Blohm & Voss, Hamburg.

    On the 19th July 1918, when attacking a convoy of merchant ships near Hartlepool, she herself was attacked by H.M. Motor-Launch No. 263 and suffered from depth charges. Coming to the surface she was rammed by H.M.S. Garry, a torpedo boat destroyer, and sunk.

    In September she was salvaged and placed in the admiralty dock off Jarrow slake. She was then berthed at Swan Hunter’s dry docks department with an order to restore her as a fighting unit.

    The Armistice on 11th November 1918 caused work on her to be stopped. She was towed on the 19th December 1918 from Wallsend to the Northumberland Dock at Howdon and was subsequently sold as scrap.

    The album of photographs, taken by Frank & Sons of South Shields, documents the U.B. 110 in extensive detail. The photographs provide a rare glimpse into the mechanics and atmosphere of the raised German submarine.

    via Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums

    (via reichsmarschall)

  10. atticmi:

    U-172 under the command of Kapitänleutnant Carl Emmermann. Far-left on the foto stood Leutnant zur See Hermann Hoffmann, who took command of U-172 after Emmermann became the commander of the 6th Flotilla in St. Nazaire, France in November of 1943.